Friday, October 22, 2010

What is the best way to start Lump Charcoal?

I bought Cowboy Brand Lump Charcoal from Trader Joes and last time I used it it didn't start that great. Please tell me how much to use, what to keep it going and how to start it properly



http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.d鈥?/a>



That is the grill I have with about 580 square inch cooking areaWhat is the best way to start Lump Charcoal?
I am too cheap to pay $12-15 for a chimney charcoal starter. I have a coffee can with both ends cut off. Punched two holes near the edge and hooked a wire clothes hanger through them for a handle. Crumble newspaper ( not too tight ) light it and place just a few pieces of charcoal on top. Once that is started I add the rest. Takes a little longer than liquid starter but I am never in a hurry when I grill.What is the best way to start Lump Charcoal?
you can buy barbecue fire-lighter in both solid and liquid form. I have always found this works well. stack the coals up in a pile and include solid fire-lighter in the middle of the pile, or give the pile a good soaking of fluid. Do not use anything not specifically meant for barbecues !!



Then light it, and when it catches leave it. I have found fiddling around with the pile after lighting is more likely to put the fire out rather than anything else.



Once the charcoal has gone grey, spread it out under the cooking surface and get cooking.
when I had a charcoal grill this was the best way I found - first you will have to start about 1 /12 to 2 hours before you light it.



first you put down a layer - spread them out -wet them good with starter fluid - them put another layer on top wet them with starter fluid - continue this until you have the amount of coals that you are going to use - cover the grill with the lid - about every 15 to 20 minutes soak them with the fluid ( remember to keep the grill cover on during the waiting time) - when you get ready to cook - wet them and lite them - the idea is to give the fluid time to soak into the coals and you will have a long burning and hot fire
Well, if you are like me you love charcoal cooking but hate the taste and smell of fuel. I also use the Cowboy lump charcoal and what I found was a charcoal starter that uses newspaper to get the coals burning. I bought it at Home Depot for $13. l listed the link in the source below.



Two or three pieces of crumpled up newspaper, a match and your coals are ready in no time. It really works! And it just let you taste the flavor of the fire and not the fuel. If need be, you can just add more coals to the top to keep the fire burning.
lump charcoal needs to be lighted with a chimney type of starter ether home made or store bought Webber makes a very good one

No comments:

Post a Comment