Friday, October 22, 2010

How can I phrase this?

Hi :)



I'm writing a research paper and I'm trying to come up with a thesis statement. What I want to write about is somewhere along the lines of poverty relating to deforestation.



I want to show that in places like Haiti, poverty is the cause of deforestation. Deforestation is the leading ecological issue in Haiti because Haiti is one, if not the poorest country in the western hemisphere. In 1923 forests covered nearly 60% of the country; today however they cover less than 2%. It is because of the increasing population of poor people living in Haiti...they cut the trees down to make charcoal in order to cook.



How can I make this into a thesis statement with a little more form?



Any examples? Any ideas?How can I phrase this?




You need a hypothesis statement and it needs to state the relationship between poverty and deforestation leading towards the result that the writer expects to emerge.



Something like this -

In Haiti and similar countries there is a positive relationship between the leading ecological issue of deforestation and the presence of poverty.



Now all you have to do is design your research project and gather enough data to prove or disprove prove your hypothesis of the relationship between deforestation and poverty and if not, why not !

No comments:

Post a Comment