Thursday, October 28, 2010

TURKEY 101 or TURKEY SOS?

This year I will be brining a 12lb turkey and I have scoured the internet for an idiot proof recipe with kosher salt, sugar and cold water.



1stQuestion: How much kosher salt, sugar and cold water do I need to coat or submerge this 12lb bird let's say in a bucket or a smal igloo cooler? Would it be okay to pack some ice around the bird as well to keep the cooler's temperature?



2nd Question: If I brine this bird the day before I am going to cook it, how long should I brine this 12lb (cause I don't want to do this brining method overnight), I rather get the brining process over and done with during the day....



3rd Question: After I brine the bird %26amp; pat it dry, how long or how many hours do I cook this12lb BRINED bird for?



Was told when the bird is brined it cooks up a wee bit faster because of all the salt juices the bird has retian which pretty much makes the cook time shorter....and to be honest my entire family loves a turkey with no pink/bloody meat in it still, we love our turkey meat charcoaled well done LOL....





Thank you so very much for all of your help :) TURKEY 101 or TURKEY SOS?
to question one prepare water first before you add turkey. I heard it is 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar to one gal of water. here is why you don't add bird yet. dip finger into prepared water it is suppose to taste like salty sea water before you add turkey.



I would at least do 2 days on the brining if not 3. when adding ice put ice in zip lock bag not in the water directly you will ruin your brine. you can if you live in the cold north place cooler in an unheated garage or shed.



About 3 hours. first set temp to 425 cook for 15-20 min. then cut down to 325. to cook the rest of time. have your handy dandy thermometer handy when it reaches170 your done. I usually check the last1/2 hour of cook time and let be till i get the recqired internal temp of 170.



Just so you are not shocked when you brine a turkey it tends to turn the meat pink. You can cook it dry and still it will be pink. just to let you know. that's why a kitchen thermometer is very important investment so get one and check your temps.TURKEY 101 or TURKEY SOS?
I've never brined a bird, but you can get all your turkey questions answered at www.butterball.com. They also have a toll free number with live experts who can give you advice.
Alton Brown or Dave lieibermans recipes

Alton's

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton鈥?/a>

Dave's

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment