Thursday, October 28, 2010

Is there anything that I can do to get the smell of smoke out of my apt. after near fire?

Hey

Saturday I was cooking ribs and I went to my friends house while waiting on them to cook, but apparently to long!! Whenever I got back to my apartment the ribs looked like burnt charcoal, and the was totally up in smoke!! It looked like there had been a big house fire that how much smoke was in here! I have sprayed a ton of Febreze extra strength and Glade both were for smoke I put carpet fresh on the floor for a day and let it sit then vacuumed that up, I ';moped the walls'; and it still smells very badly of smoke! I sprayed about 3 bottles of strong febreze and glade. I am 5 months pregnant, and I am really worried that this may harm my child. I don't have much money to spend on this right now but I have to get it out to get this out of my house because it is makeing me sick and messing with my allergies.Is there anything that I can do to get the smell of smoke out of my apt. after near fire?
Sprinkling baking soda on furniture and rugs and then vacuuming it off is supposed to work on smoky odors. I haven't tried this but baking soda works fine in the fridge, and is cheap at any rate. If it is in your furniture, you can use Fabreze. Shampooing and washing will help. Wash down your walls with a strong cleaning solution. Wash your drapes or curtains if you can - otherwise have them dry-cleaned. Another thing you could do is you could walk around the house with a teapot, letting the steam travel through each room. This will get most of the smoke smell out of the air. Set out bowls of vinegar around the room to neutralize the smoke odor. Do open some of your windows as well, keeping them closed in a smoke-filled room is never an option. Good luck!Is there anything that I can do to get the smell of smoke out of my apt. after near fire?
One thing that concerns me -- how did your apartment get so smokey without setting off a smoke detector??? If you don't have one, get one IMMEDIATELY! Do that before wasting any more money on Febreze and Glade!



Because you're pregnant, I suggest you get some kind of mask to wear while you're cleaning to cut down on the fumes. Anything less than a heavy-duty, professional gas mask will still let some fumes through, but it's better than nothing. Try a paint store for a good but inexpensive one.



Material, paper and wood soak up odours like crazy. Smoke is one of the hardest smells to get out of those things, especially greasy smoke like from ribs or bacon. Washing any drapes and curtains is a must. You might have to wash every piece of clothing and any other object made from material in your place as well. Rugs will need to be shampooed, but you might get away with doing that yourself rather than paying someone a lot of money.



There are also cleaners that you can use on couches, etc., which you have to brush or scrub in, that will work much better than Febreze. They leave the piece of furniture rather wet or damp, so you won't be able to sit on it for a day or two.



If you do all this and the smell still lingers, you might have to paint. When there was a fire in the basement where my parents lived (2 story apartment) the ins. co.'s cleaners painted all the rooms with an aluminum paint before painting with regular paint. This was in order to get rid of the smoke smell.



They also cleaned and washed EVERYTHING in my parents' apartment. It was literally emptied out and stuff was returned hanging on the hangers on which they were dried - which looked pretty funny in some instances - like one potholder per hanger. Plus my parents ended up with about 300 wire hangers!



Can you get someone to help you with all this physical work? You don't want to be stretching too much at this point.



Good luck!



  • annulment in marriage
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment