Thursday, October 28, 2010

What in the world do I do to make this good?

Hey, I've put a couple of skewers on a grill before but I've never actually been involved with the preparation and the actual charcoal. I'd like to know a few thing so I won't burn up the park and my food. How much lighter fluid do I use on the charcoal? Is it safe to use aluminum foil? Do they have things you can put on the grill to cook your food? Are you suppose to season your food over the open flame? Now if you can help me I will be very thankful. I know some of you are laughing and I must admit I look and sound pitiful but I've always wanted to do this so all the help is both needed and appreciated.What in the world do I do to make this good?
add charcoal, two squirts of fluid. I would just light a piece of paper and throw it in there so you dont burn your arm hairs off. yes aluminum foil is safe(but if you want to e technical, its not healthy for you. period.) and yes, you can season your food any place you want, I would do it before. and yes if the park has a grill, it should be functional to throw your food on. You shouldn't have to bring extra grill parts in less its in the ghetto.What in the world do I do to make this good?
The biggest problem people have when using charcoal is they think it's ready long before it actually is.

Purchase the self lighting charcoal and don't bother with the fluid and the mess and the stink - n- danger of it all.



Wait til your briskets are white, you will notice they are still putting out an excessive amount of heat. Do not disturb them while cooking. You can use foil as usually the grates at parks always have large spaces in them. Do not cook in an open flame scenario.
You're not pitiful! You just need help.



I would consider marinating your meat before grilling. Pick something spicy, that goes with what you plan to skewer. That way, no worries about flavor except for salt and peppering it to taste. And your meat has a better chance of being tender.



You are supposed to soak[thoroughly coat] the charcoal, after it is in place in your grill, with the lighter fluid. However, this does impart a lighter fluid taste to the food. Better choice is to go buy a sturdy charcoal chimney, then all you need is the charcoal, a wadded piece of newspaper with some vegetable oil on it, and a match. The chimney lights the coals, gets them hot and ready for the grill. Hey, this is Memorial Day weekend in the States, and a bank holiday in the UK. You will find one!



No, don't be throwing seasoning around an open flame. And take care when basting something, it can cause flare ups. Salt is ok to toss around. Keep a spray bottle with water in it to zap flare-ups.



Yes, you can use aluminum foil. Tented over food, it makes a sort of oven. Put under food, it keeps it from sticking, but, when you put it under the food, so much for that charcoal taste. Foil is a popular item at the campfire, One can make pouches and cook entire meals right in the fire.



Best to cook on open coals. That way, you get all the heat, and all the charcoal taste. Get your charcoal, get it lit. Wait until it is grey all over, Bank a heavy pile of it on one side of the grill, make the other side thinner. That way, you have 2 temperatures to cook over, if one is too hot, move it it over, and visa versa.



Before you set on the food, you need a clean grill. Take something designed for this, and give the wire a good cleaning. Old food will burn off, it just needs some help with a tool. And always take some oil and paper toweling, and a good long tongs, and grease your grill really well, go over the wire several times, so things won't stick.



Go to allrecipes.com, they have lots of grilling tips, and the time to explain things better. Also will have lots of tasty recipes. And Alton Brown on Food Network is not shy about having multiple grilling show. See Bobby Flay, too.



Buy wooden skewers, and soak them in water before spearing food, so they do not catch fire.

Use some thought when loading the skewers, if you want your meat well done, and want something like tomatoes, well, you will have burnt tomatoes before the meat is done. Cut the cubes of meat all the same size for even cooking. Same with the veggies. That way, you are not standing over a hot grill saying, Hmm, the onion is smaller on that one, so it will get done first, but the meat on this one is bigger so...this is supposed to be easy, not cause you to talk to yourself.

Just have a pan ready to zing the skewers off the grill and into the pan when they get done.



So don't be intimidated! When I bought my first house, I was not loaded with money, so I bought a $3 grill, yes, $3, put two clean garbage cans sans lids out on the concrete that passed for a patio, put an old door across them, plopped the grill in the middle, set up charcoal, lit it, and cut up a whole chicken, put it on, cooked it from raw, came up with a basting sauce, and cooked it until the juices ran clear, no thermometer, no marinating! By myself, no recipes, no help, only example I had was Dad and his hibachi cooker who once did pork steaks over charcoal when I was a child. And an uncle did steaks[they were horrible] and I was not there for the grill prep. If Rivers can do this with no help, you can do it with the Answers! crew. And allrecipes.com.



Good luck, and repeat after me, I am not pitiful, I am not pitiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment