Friday, October 22, 2010

How do I grill Pork really slowly on my charcoal BBQ? Do I use fewer coals?

I am planning to grill some nice cuts of pork tonight on my charcoal barbecue. I plan to make a ';two level fire'; . Basically, I will push all the coals to one side, and grill the meat on the side without the coals.



Should I use fewer coals to have less heat, therefore longer grill time? Or is that, for some reason, a bad idea?



One think I've found with Pork is that the slower its cooked on charcoal, the more flavorful it is.



Any advice would be appreciated.



Thanks!How do I grill Pork really slowly on my charcoal BBQ? Do I use fewer coals?
try this weber site, it is how we learned.How do I grill Pork really slowly on my charcoal BBQ? Do I use fewer coals?
Basically you do 'Indirect heat' cooking, as in, after your coals are hot, rake them all to 1 side of the grill and put your cuts on the other side, close and let em cook.
Depending on the type of charcoal and the broiler, you could use several methods. I prefer to light the briquettes in a chimney and then spread them out widely over the bottom of the grill and use my elevator to raise and lower the meat.



You have much better control of the heat since putting it on the reverse side of the grill gives you nearly no control of your heat.



Also, keep a spray bottle of water on hand to splash on flare ups. An old windex bottle works great.
I would use less coals but instead of push them aside I would level it out so a baking tray could be placed underneath to catch the drippings an eliminate flare ups.

I would put it in prior to the meat, so the coals will not need to heat that and the meat at the same time.

I would sear the meat first, but that is just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment