Friday, October 22, 2010

How to cook a Thanksgiving turkey?

I haven't cooked a turkey in years and this year it's my turn. If I remember correctly mine tends to come out a little dry even if I basted it. So I'm thinking of doing something different with it this year. Has anyone ever put it on the grill? I have a charcoal grill and I'm thinking of trying that out. Would I be able to put it on whole or would I have to cut it up?



Also if anyone has any tips for cooking it the traditional way without drying it out I'd really appreciate any pointers.How to cook a Thanksgiving turkey?
try brining the turkey it makes the most flavorful and moist turkey no matter how you cook it.

turkey brine

1 gallon-vegatable stock

( i make my own stock by boiling leeks/onions/garlic/celery/red bell pepper/tomatos/garlic %26amp; strain)

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 cup kosher salt

1/2 tbsp allspice berries

1 tbsp peppercorns

mix all together, stir to dissolve sugar/salt. and bring to boil, cool to room temp and chill in fridge.

put brine into large ice chest lined with a large plastic bag (bed bath and beyond sells a large plastic turkey brining bag this make clean up easier) add 1 gallon iced water (w/ice cubes) and immerse thawed turkey. keep in cool place for 12 hours or over night. remove from brine and dry turkey completely, (discard brine). rub turkey with butter and put herbs (onion, sage, rosemary, thyme) in cavity. cook turkey your preferred method.How to cook a Thanksgiving turkey?
http://www.butterball.com this is where you find all the answers to all turkey cooking questions. You don't need to use the same brand name on the turk! Go read through the site and you will be fine. It has instructions for lots of different dressings and gravies to go with the turkey as well.



Happy eating! Just remember to take it easy on filling the plate. One small spoonful of everything!
I wouldn't do the grill. It would take far too long. Try using a Reynolds Basting bag for turkey's. Season and stuff (if you do) the bird, coat skin w/soften butter or olive oil and seal bag. Cook according to size of your turkey. No basting required. The turkey comes out nice and juicy ever time. I place in a disposal aluminum roaster. No muss No fuss!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment