Thursday, October 28, 2010

How do i use my bbq smoker?

Ok I got a ne smoker. Its a Gourmet Smoke N Grill. just a big tube that stands up. Ok on bottom is a plac for up to 10 pounds of charcoal then above it in the water pan then above that there is 2 racks. I want that loooooong slow smoke cooking but with it being rather small around, the meat gets alot of heat. Any suggestions? i wanna cook some briskets and/or ribs Saturday for the 4th.How do i use my bbq smoker?
Ken's the MAN! Low and slow is the way. I can't seem to get the beer to make it to the water pan...it always ends up in my throat! What you can try with ribs is fill the tray with apple juice. For brisket use chicken stock.



Remember if you are smoking ribs, be sure to remove the bone membrane to allow the smoke to get all the way into the meat. The membrane is on the bone side of the ribs. Use a knife to cut through a portion and use a paper towel to get a better grip and peel it off.



Also, you can buy smoker boxes which hold the wood chips or you can fold them in foil wrap and poke holes in the foil.



Use hardwood charcoal, not briquettes. It will stay hotter, longer.How do i use my bbq smoker?
First DO NOT put 10 lbs of charcoal in. The secret is slow and low. I use a small amount of charcoal to start a fire and place wet (soak in water for about 2 hours) hickory or mesquite chunks (available at Wal-mart). I keep the smoker temp between 200 and 250 (get a thermometer). Adjust the temp with your vent openings (wide open = hot, closed = colder). I smoke a full rack of ribs or a brisket for about 4 hours. I check the fire about every 45 min. and add more soaked wood if needed. Then wrap the meat loosely (but sealed well) with heavy duty foil and cook it in the oven (that makes the meat very tender) for another 6 hrs at 200 to 225. Then I empty the accumulated water, pour in some BBQ sauce, turn the heat up to 350 and cook uncovered for 15 to 30 minutes to let the sauce ';burn in.'; Sometimes I used the water pan but put beer in it instead. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment