Thursday, October 28, 2010

How do I salvage a $270 stockpot? I uh done something stupid,...?

It was a gift from a friend from a while back, she loved my cooking %26amp; talent for improvisation.



Well, I had it on low simmer on the stove, and I sorta got distracted %26amp; forgot to turn off the stove when I left the house to take care of a small emergency (another friend locked her keys in her car, with one of her toddlers in the car %26amp; was panicking coz she didn't want to go to jail) Anyway, when I finally got home, the smoke alarms in the house were going berserk because the house was thick with smoke. From the reek I knew right off I done something stupid myself.

Well after all the moisture cooked off, the solids had melted or congealed and there is about 7 inches of very firm charcoal at the bottom of the pot.



What can I do, its one of my favorite pots and the largest.



Any suggestions?How do I salvage a $270 stockpot? I uh done something stupid,...?
First try soaking and letting this sit overnight several times to the point you can't get anymore of the cooked on remains out, with water and detergent. If there are still areas that this doesn't work Try the spray on Oven Cleaners and follow the directions, as far as time etc. This will often clean up burned and charred areas easily and nicely. If it should require some more scrubbing, you can also use SOS pads or steel wool witch can also help.How do I salvage a $270 stockpot? I uh done something stupid,...?
I looked into replacing the pot - the current price for the same pot is actually about 410 bucks after taxes. And trust me, there are no sustiutions with the characteristics of this particular brand.



It did help that the nonstick surface on the bottom was there even with the severity of the burn

Report Abuse


Fill the pot with water, add dishwasher soap or baking soda. Bring to a boil and let sit. Hope it works!!



PS: You may have to do more than once!
martha stuart suggests lemon juice, sugar and ice. And a lot of elbow grease! I tried it one when I burned spanish rice in one of my pans, I can still use the pan, but its not perfect.
I would toss it and get a new one. Since it practically burned , I would suspect that harmful Carcinogens from the chemicals used to manufacture the pot broke down when it burned. I would be hesitant to cook again with that pot. I would get a new one or invest in one that is of higher quality. If you're a serious cook, it is well worth the price. Hope this helps.
Put enough water in the pot to cover the burned material by at least a couple of inches. Cook the mess on a medium low heat and it should start to soften up. Might have to add more water as it goes. Take a turner and keep scraping the softened stuff loose and remove it from the pot as you get it loose. Keep at it until most of the mess is gone.



Then get yourself some Barkeepers Friend. It's a powdered cleanser that is not nearly as harsh as a regular scouring powder but works great. Dump out the water that is left in the pot and sprinkle the Barkeepers generously so there is a light coating over the entire bottom. Let it lay and work for 20-30 minutes and then scrub with a sponge and or a nylon scrubbing sponge. You might have to do this several times.



If the pot is stainless, you stand a good chance. If it's got an enamel coating on it, your odds are 50/50. It it is enamel be careful when you're scraping up the burned stuff.



Now if the bottom of the pot is warped in any manner, you're done as the bottom not being flat will greatly effect the way the pot heats and it will have to be tossed.



Good Luck!
Put hot water in it and leave over night with vim/or one of those pot cleaning stuff and the next day take a mild abrasive and use elbow grease to get it out. You may have to repeat about twice again.



If that does not work try the hot water and put the cooker back on for a couple of minutes then allow to cool and repeat the rubbing out part.



You are not alone it happened to me. You have a good excuse I fell asleep.

Thank God the child is alright, that was worth the pot
I did this once too. My downfall was a corned beef and vegetables that were simmering and I fell asleep. Anyway, get out as much of the solid as you can by soaking/boiling with water. Most of it should come out, leaving you a coating on the bottom and sides. Then use cream of tartar in water and boil. Another thing that really works surprisingly well is rhubarb. Just put cut up rhubarb and water in the pot and let it boil. The acid in the rhubarb dissolves the carbon. There is also a product available at Smart N Final called Carbon Off. It is made for restaurant use. Works great, but if your problem is really bad you may have to do it more than once. Anything is worth trying to save a pot that cost that much!

No comments:

Post a Comment