Thursday, October 28, 2010

How can I repair the rust on my cast iron grill?

I have a Lodge cast iron hibachi style grill. I carelessly left it outside and it has since rusted. I plan to remove the rust with a drill mounted wire brush, but then what? I'd rather not paint it because I don't want any off gassing while cooking. Can I coat with vegetable oil and re-season by filling with hot charcoal?How can I repair the rust on my cast iron grill?
Basically you are on target with your solution. I would clean off all of the rust with a wire wheel and then use a wire brush. From there I would use an scouring pad with a good cleaner like comet. Rinse off completely and then re-season it. Make sure you get it good and hot and wire brush it some more. Then it should be fine for you to use.



cheersHow can I repair the rust on my cast iron grill?
';Can I coat with vegetable oil and re-season by filling with hot charcoal?';



That's what I would try.
NO! do not use vegetable oil. bad idea. do this instead;

1. use metal wire to scrape off most of the rust.

2. drip bleach onto the worst rusting areas to kill the rust cells(they are what make the rust)

3. put duct tape over the places that rusted. this will prevent future rusting and increase your grills lifetime.

4. dont use your grill for a week. store it in a WARM,DRY environment.

5. your grill should be good to go. while this method may take longer and seem unorthodox, it will increase the lifetime of your grill by at least 15 years.
Clean off the rust with the wire wheel/brush and then use cooking spray on it. Don't leave it out in the rain again.

No comments:

Post a Comment